If you’ve come this far then you are probably a fellow #fuckcancer patriot like myself or you have a loved one with the disease or know someone who does.
Mum, Cancer and Me is an honest and personal blog about my life and experiences of helping my mum through cancer.
It tells of how the ‘monster’ affects not just the person it is trying to destroy but those around it.
This is not a blog which aims to give expert advice on cancer but one that shines a light on family members who are grieving, witnessing a change before their eyes or are at a loss on what to do.
I’m Gemma and here are a few facts about me:
- I’m 27
- I’m a daughter, sister, partner and mum to an old German Shepherd cross
- I’ve had anxiety since I was a young child and have experienced depression and panic attacks at many points in my life
- My mum was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in August 2019
- Mum has been going through chemotherapy for a year
- I’m learning to find the positive in a world full of chaos
- My favourite mantra is #fuckcancer
Oh and before you go….
I’ve been a journalist for more than six years, working for various publishers including Reach PLC and JPI Media.
I’m passionate about ending mental illness stigma and host a podcast called, No Really I’m Fine which you can check out below.